Monday, December 22, 2014
Media Spike #19
Thank you for coming back. “It was knockout blow. A punch so overwhelming that I didn’t get back on my feet for 14 years. And to deliver a blow like that, they went to a lot of trouble.”

So begins the international best seller Papillon novel, by Henri Charrierre. His account, originally deemed a fantastic autobiography has been challenged for accuracy and more recently is considered a hybrid of his and other inmates experiences making it more a work of fiction. Regardless, it remains a masterpiece. His opening line, like any good ad, was a powerful attention getter.

What was the ‘knockout blow? How hard did you get hit to be knocked out for 14 years? Who are the ‘they’ that delivered such a crushing punch? This is the kind of memorable impact and recognition advertisers would ‘kill for’. They go to great lengths and enormous expense to put a message which delivers a lukewarm response, anemic sales, and fails to build any brand awareness or excitement.

Before you spend a dime with me – I hope you do of course- but long before that, I want you to look at some advertising history:

David Ogilvy: http://www.copyblogger.com/lessons-from-david-ogilvy/

John Caples: http://www.lawrencecreaghan.ca/Archive/JohnCaples.htm

Victor Schwab: http://www.infomarketingblog.com/100-good-advertising-headlines-victor-schwab/

These three links will give you a glimpse into the thinking and strategies used by these three giants of the industry. Their ads are legendary. Their strategies are repeatable. Their results are irrefutable. The headline is carrying the freight of your ad.

Probably as much as 80% of the success of your ad relies on the headline being interesting or provocative enough to get the reader to read the next line, then the next and so on. When the time comes for placing your ads, I will spend your budget very efficiently.  Saving you money, and delivering some tried and true and new media combinations to maximize the visibility of your message. But all my efforts are in vain if your ad fails to get anyone to read it. Or watch it. Or listen to it.

While Mr. Charrierre was not writing an ad when he composed Papillon, he was clearly provoking awareness. Creating interest. Stimulating desire. Initiating action. That powerful opening line was enough to hook me into his 300+ page turner. He got my attention. And the attention of thousands of other readers around the world. Talk about a knockout opening line.

Believe me, no-one has more interest in seeing you invest in advertising space and time than yours truly. But it pains me to create a wonderful media stage of excellent players, platforms and media opportunities to highlight an ad which was not going to raise an eyebrow.

Just because 80% of your budget should go to media placement, I am equally interested in the remaining 20% being used to full creative advantage as well. Please click all of these three links to open a world of powerful ad history that has stood the test of time and will certainly bolster your future communications.

Don’t worry, I’ll still be here after you’ve read them and together we can put your best ads in the best places to be seen and acted on. Here are those links again.

David Ogilvy: http://www.copyblogger.com/lessons-from-david-ogilvy/

John Caples: http://www.lawrencecreaghan.ca/Archive/JohnCaples.htm

Victor Schwab: http://www.infomarketingblog.com/100-good-advertising-headlines-victor-schwab/

Stay tuned.

P.S.  Did you STOP yet?  Way back in article Media Spike #7, we encouraged you to stop advertising if they’re not working. If your ads have no STOPPING POWER, then please, Stop Running Them!
 
- Dennis Kelly
About Me
Dennis Kelly
 
 
A professional to his fingertips, Dennis Kelly of First Impressions Media brings a deft touch as your media magician. Extracting incremental media value for you from suppliers is second nature for Dennis. His versatility in all media is bred of 3 decades of hands-on media planning & buying experience in the media trenches. As a steward of your media budget, Dennis excels in delivering smart, efficient, creative and targeted campaigns to showcase your creative to the right audience.

Dennis is the author of “ 9 Secrets of How To Improve Your Advertising” and is available to Masthead Reader for $197 through a special offer at this link
 
 
 
Most Recent Blog Comment
Dennis Kelly says:
Thank you Gloria. What a perfectly apropos link. Thank you for sharing that. You are quite correct. ...
Blog Archive
2017 (2)
2015 (41)
2014 (22)